Sunday, November 29, 2015

     Today made me think as I was walking around Walmart like the rest of the masses. Upset because I couldn't afford to get my child the Christmas tree he wanted. He's four. How easy is it for us to dwell on all the bad things in our lives? We get bogged down with work, kids, partners, life in general. We forget how lucky we are to have that sort of drama that is considered day to day. Especially during the holidays when we're all running around frantically searching for what-ever little Jimmy or Sue wants. How we prize material things over the people in our lives, but what if we lost it all? I know personally I would probably fold in on my self and be carted off to the white coat lounge at the local psych facility. Today I'm with a family as their caregiver and you know what strikes me the most about them? Their attitude. They seem joyous when I am sure the rest of us would be whining in our root beers. They go with the flow and take things in stride while being the best possible people they can be. So, many times when I worked at the local jail I would meet people that didn't seem like the hardened criminal types. I had to stop and ask, “How'd you get here?” Sadly, a lot of them seemed to have suffered through the loss of a child or a loved one. Something that pushed the nice semi-stable person over the edge. It made them turn to drugs alcohol what-ever could and would numb their minds and souls. How easy it is to say that we would never stoop so low! Well, I for one am not willing or able to say that! And yet I see people like the ones tonight that go out of their way to make others feel comfortable. That seem to be grateful for what they do have.

No comments:

Post a Comment